Teen pleads guilty to sex assault
Court: teen still in custody
Wednesday, Aug 20, 2014 12:13 pm
An Okotoks teen will remain in custody after pleading guilty to sexually assaulting two young girls at a local playground last month.
The 16-year-old pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual assault at Okotoks Provincial Court on Aug. 8.
He is scheduled to be sentenced on Nov. 7 and he was remanded to remain in custody until his sentencing hearing.
The teen was initially charged with two counts of sexual assault, two counts of sexual interference and two counts of invitation to sexual touching.
He cannot be identified under provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
The mother of one of his victims said she is satisfied the teen pleaded guilty. She hopes the teen receives treatment as part of his sentencing.
ďI think he probably realizes that he has a problem,Ē she said.
The Western Wheel is not identifying the mother to protect the identity of the victims in this case.
The assault occurred at a Cimarron-area playground on July 23 when her five-year-old daughter was at a playground near her home with her brother and a friend last month when the teen approached them.
She said the teen assaulted her daughter and her friend behind a bush in the park, before her daughter got away and ran home.
The mother said her daughter was acting strange after the incident. The victim told her mother what happened the next day.
The mother is now urging parents in town to talk to their children to see if they experienced a similar assault in a park or public location in town or if they have noticed any unusual changes in their childrenís behavior.
She is also urging parents to make sure they are aware of where their children are and who they are with when out at parks and playgrounds.