Youths arrested after stadium break-in

Okotoks: Seaman Stadium targeted multiple times over summer

By: Roxanne Blackwell

  |  Posted: Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 01:33 pm

Comments    |   

Print    |   


Okotoks RCMP have arrested three youths in connection with an early morning break-in attempt at Seaman Stadium.

The youths were tracked down and arrested after they were seen in the stadium in the early morning hours of July 31.

Okotoks Sgt. Jim Ross said the youths left the premises by the time RCMP arrived, but they were able to locate the suspects and make the arrests.

“Members investigated and it resulted in the arrest of three young male offenders and the investigation is continuing with more arrests pending,” he said.

Okotoks Dawgs operations manager Marcel Dupuis said the stadium has been broken into numerous times this season with people jumping over fences to gain access.

He was waiting for the nighttime cleaning staff to arrive on July 31 when he noticed the three suspects on the property around 2 a.m. Dupuis said the youths fled when he confronted them.

“I kind of chased them off,” Dupuis said. “They were trying to get into the concessions again and then I chased them off and called the police and they went out found them.”

Dupuis said for the most part, people breaking in targeted the concession stands to steal food and alcohol.

“Last week they broke into one of the concessions and sprayed a fire extinguisher all over the place and it was the day of a game so we had to take everything out and clean everything up,” Dupuis said.

A similar occurrence took place earlier in the season when Dupuis said the suspects sprayed a fire extinguisher on the field causing damage to the grass.

Since then, Dupuis said they’ve upped their security and have guards patrolling the premises at all times.

“We are looking at adding security systems and cameras in,” he said. “It’s a pretty big area to put a system in and it’s really expensive, but we’re looking at our options.”

Dupuis said they’re glad the three were caught by RCMP, but are still concerned there are more culprits who were involved in the break-ins.

“We’re pretty happy but we’re still fairly uneasy about the whole situation,” he said.

RCMP say the incident is still under investigation. So far, three youths have been charged with break and enter and more arrests are expected. Police are also continuing to investigate previous break-ins at the site.

Anyone with information relating to the break-ins at Seaman Stadium is encouraged to call Okotoks RCMP at 403-995-6400, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.


The Okotoks Western Wheel welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to delete comments deemed inappropriate. We reserve the right to close the comments thread for stories that are deemed especially sensitive. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher.

All comments are moderated, and if approved could take up to 48 hours to appear on the website.

blog comments powered by Disqus