Okotoks murder trial set a year away
Court: Defense lawyer will try to get earlier date
By: Darlene Casten
| Posted: Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 12:33 pm
The defense lawyer for a temporary foreign worker from Okotoks charged with killing his girlfriend will try to expedite his client’s case.
Last week a trial was set for Feb. 3 to the 28th for Carlos Pelaez, who is facing second-degree murder charges in the death of Marites Teresa Reyes Enrique, 27 of the Philippines.
Enrique moved to Okotoks only weeks before her death. Both were found with serious injuries at a Cimarron apartment on April 17. Pelaez was flown by STARS air ambulance to a Calgary hospital. Enrique died soon after paramedics arrived at the scene.
A three-day preliminary inquiry was held in December, where he was ordered to stand trial on second-degree murder charges. Pelaez elected to be tried by a judge and jury in the Court of Queen’s Bench in Calgary.
Pelaez defense lawyer David Chow said he wants to work with the Crown prosecutor to try to find an earlier trial date.
He said there are difficulties because the case is being held in the Court of Queen’s Bench, which doesn’t sit in July and August. The Crown prosecutor is not available in December and Chow is away in September.
However, Chow said he still believes they could cut down the length of time scheduled for the trial and find an earlier court date.
At the appearance last week either Chow or the assigned Crown prosecutor Ron Siminek were present when the trial was set. They both sent agents to court and Chow said there may have been a miscommunication.
He said he will bring it back in front of the courts later this week or next week to try to set a new date and is hopeful a trial could happen in November.
Pelaez remains in prison while the charges are before the courts.